Saturday, November 21, 2009

My learning from my first fling with acting!



Just 10 weeks back I had no clue I’d be standing on stage playing second lead in an hour-and-a-half long play. I was forced to audition by my director and best friend Vashisht so I landed up there. God-only-knows how I was called back for the next round and God-only-knows how I was zeroed in on for the role of Ramesh. From then on there has been no looking back. I have loved every single moment of being involved in this brilliant production.

Acting has taught me a lot. In the very very recent past I couldn’t have imagined myself being so expressive but now I don’t feel constrained at all while impersonating Scarlett Johansson, in a completely female voice, in front of 200-odd people. I have learnt that it is not me on stage but it is my character. It is my character Ramesh performing all these actions, not Saksham Karwal. I have to let myself free, there is no room to be shy. Whether I am more comfortable believing that there is an audience watching me or that I am alone in a room is all up to me, I have to choose which environment would spur me to give my best. There is a scene where my boss Arun, played by my friend Akhil, slaps me and it was hard for both of us to play this out. I had to mentally prepare that it was Ramesh being slapped not me; I had to force myself not to put my hand in a defensive position as a reflex action knowing that I am going to be slapped. It was hard, but then you gotta do what you gotta do. I have learnt that teamwork exists even outside my cricket team. Acting is a team effort, you rub off off your co-actors' energies. I have learnt that criticism is not a bad thing; you have to take it well. I had no clue how to act (don't know if I have any now either!) so I kept my mind receptive to all the advice and points coming from Vashisht and Manasi (the Assistant Director). Every single line in the play can be interpreted in a million different ways and your view may not match with someone else's, but you have to listen. No one is wrong, it’s just a matter of picking between two rights. I have learnt that patience is key. There will be days when someone is off, you have to let those days be, you can't let them upset you because there are always days when you will be off as well.

For making the last two-and-a-half months of my life an unforgettable experience, withdrawal will be hard and long :( I am a changed person, for the better of course. The word shy doesn't exist in my life anymore. The world is my stage. For everything that has come my way I'd like to thank every single member of the production, right from lights (Bhakti & Anshul) to sounds (Yash K. & Vandit) to costumes (Gehna & Natasha B.) to the stage manager (Juveca), to the set designer (Colin), to props (Aisha & Riah), to the graphics designer (Karan), to the super efficient set crew (Aditya & Ayesha), to the one and only director mentor (Vidyut), the Naatak board (Vidushi, Shashwat, Vashisht, Abhijay, Shreyans, Natasha S.) and most importantly my director, the AD and my fellow cast members. Thanks Vashisht for making me an actor (c'mon I am one!!). Thanks Manasi for always uplifting everyone's mood. Thanks Akhil for always silently being the most supportive (and for the million slaps). Thanks Karishmma for just being such a perfect Rashmi for Ramesh. Thanks Sneha for bringing all the positive energy you brought (and the note along with the gift). Thanks Shiv for always going on and on and never letting there be any silent moments, you fit in perfectly. Thanks Varun for giving such a great performance, you are irreplaceable. Thanks Ashley for the 'Jesus wouldn't like that.' Thanks Pheobe for believing you were really talking to Scarlett Johansson. Thanks Subodh for letting me take out all my frustrations on you. Thanks Steve, Yash M. and Natasha S. for being so sporting. Thanks Gandharv and Shubhi for making us perform in front of a full theater with people even on the floor and on the aisle. How can I forget my family and friends for being so supportive throughout? Thanks Sugyan for being so encouraging (I am gonna see you a lot more from tomorrow). Thanks Kirti for having the craziest talks with me. Thanks Harsh for always being up for everything, yes everything! Before I forget, I’m sorry to anyone I may not have behaved properly with, I owe an apology. Finally and once again, thank you so much, I love you guys.

Now, its time to go up on stage and give it my best one last time. So off I go from here straight on to stage... wait I'm always on stage now!


10 comments:

  1. Dear Saksham, I am really proud of you! I always want to write a lot to you but I do not think that is required anymore. You are already in touch with your inner self and that is what matters. Keep it up my boy! Keep learning new skills but never forget the value of positive attitude and gratitude. Keep experimenting and even as you do that, please do not neglect your strengths. Lots of love. Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saksham, you did an INSANE job with the role. I mean, you more than anyone else, really interacted with the audience, so if being shy was an issue, you've totally overcome it.
    Thanks so much,
    love ya,
    Sneha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saaaaaaaksham!
    I don't know about you but I feel soooooo much closer to you after this whole experience.
    You did an AMAZING job.
    If I ever direct , you HAVE to act.
    ok?
    cool
    mwah

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Saksham I love you!!
    you were ammmaaaazzinggg and damn funny!
    and i'm sorry they were so mean to you at HBC Home Loans haha
    you should consider a career in bollywood
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sneha - 'interacted with the audience' - waah!! everyday i discover a new thing i can do!! u were great too. everyone was.
    Manasi - yes i know thats why all the withdrawal syndrome :( you want me to act?? are u sure??? like really??? its ok i'll take it as a compliment! hahahaha!! yes definitely direct before i graduate.
    Ashley - thank you!! me and bollywood?? hahahahaha no way man. i dont even wish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother, I don't know how to start and what to write. Just one thing, I could not have managed without your support. It really meant a lot to me. Thank you for everything, really. You did Ramesh like no one ever could have done and I mean it. Believe me. Thanks a lot again Bhai.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done karwal !!
    great job :P
    you took everyone by surprise !
    i guess specially yourself =)
    Well don again !

    love
    Bhakti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vashisht - I did Ramesh the way I did because of your training. Thanks!
    Bhakti - Thanks and ya I did take myself by surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's an actor's note if I ever saw one.

    ReplyDelete